Sunday, April 3, 2011

Doors and Windows in Hyde Park

We are now back in Tokyo, safe and sound but a little sad. I am very jet-lagged hence the (very) early morning post.

Hyde Park was a much needed antidote to our shaken state. It is so idyllic. So peaceful. So settled and comfortable. So teeming with life. And having Pippi with us was such a remarkable pleasure. Maybe it was my mindset or maybe it was the exquisite spring light that made me fall in love again with Hyde Park's architectural splendor. Pippi and I scouted all of these examples within a few blocks of our apartment. Here follows a selection of our favorite doors and windows.


A door knob on Kenwood Avenue.


A doorway under a Gothic-inspired, broken arch on Kenwood Avenue.


The matching windows.


An arched doorway on Kenwood with a shell-shaped transom. A music teacher of mine used to live in this building.


A rare double-hung window.


Verging on the Queen Anne style.


Victorian charm on Kimbark Avenue.


My parents' home on Dorchester Avenue.


Pippi inspects my favorite arched doorway of all.


Detail from my favorite doorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment