Thursday, February 24, 2011

My First Igloo







Well, not really. It seems that every year a new igloo freezes up in Niseko. They are a marvel. Can anyone build an ice house? Is any empty lot fair game? How long does it take? I wonder ... I should have asked ...





Located on a quiet, side street, this one houses an ice bar. Isn't this a cool photo with the snow streaking down? A furry (fake) door invites patrons. Inside, there are no chairs (who would want to sit?) but a big bar fills the center of the one-room establishment. They seemed to have about four or five different beverages on offer. Actually, it was not as cold inside as I expected. I suppose those ice bricks really do retain heat. There were no takers the evening we stopped by, but the night was still young.





As you can see, the cathedral roof is supported by broken-arched ribs. I imagine there must be some kind of membrane webbing in between to keep the snow in place but don't hold me to this.





The decor consists of rainbow colored lights encased behind the translucent bricks that constantly segue from one hue to the next. Very mesmerizing.



No comments:

Post a Comment