Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Abby's Birthday

Yesterday was Abby's birthday. I can not believe that my little girl is 15! How did that happen? Naturally I get rather nostalgic each year at this time. It was 15 years ago yesterday that I became a mother for the first time. Birthing my big baby girl at St. Luke's was definitely a novel experience for me but perhaps the most profound aspect of Abby's arrival was our return home. I remember taking Abby on a tour of our apartment in Nanpeidai to acquaint her with her new home. Aside from flowers on almost every horizontal surface, the apartment looked pretty much as I had left it 7 days earlier (Yes! Seven day hospital stays are routine for first time moms in Japan). But I was a completely changed person in the most wonderful way.

2 comments:

  1. And she is magnificent! You are such a great mother!

    I relate to your comment - Jordan will be 22 on Monday! I cannot imagine life without him. Just spoke to him in Australia. He is great - just heading out to a dance performance as part of the Melbourne Arts Festival - Korper - Sasha Walz & Guests, from Germany. It looks amazing.It is great how these kids are so open to exploring everything in the arts, etc.

    http://www.melbournefestival.com.au/program/production?id=3513&activityid=25202

    You will keep evolving as she becomes older. And how special it is all is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no. blew it again. will do remedial work. blpu

    ReplyDelete